Monday, February 10, 2014

Makeup Empties February 2014



Makeup empties time!!! Out with the old to justify the new eh? 

Chanel Poudre Universelle Compacte in 120 Rose Merveille 

I purchased this from Chanel's 2011 spring collection as a treat to myself (I was going through a rough time, very rough time) and this finely milled translucent powder with a slight shimmer was a nice little pick-me up. It's safe to say that I've definitely gotten my money's worth as I've used every last usable inch of it, and it's at the point now where you can't get an even application because the edges are so sparse and broken! I liked the application and quality of this but on my oily t-zone, it failed to mattify my skin and left me needing to touch up a lot more frequently than I would've liked. 


L'Oreal Voluminous Extra Volume Mascara - No Clumps in Noir

My friend really loves this mascara and swears by it, but unfortunately it did not fare the same for me at all. I would say I only got a maximum of three good wears out of it where I'd look at my lashes and think 'you know this mascara might actually be better than I thought it was'. But for the rest of the 2-3 months I was using it, the effect it gave was sparse yet spidery - not good at all. 


Murad Skin Perfecting Primer in Dewy Finish

This was a generous sample I received from a Glossybox over a year ago, and I definitely used it sparingly to make it last. I love how the brand has 'tested on people, not on animals' on the packaging and definitely think that more brands should follow suit. This primer had a medium-pigment to it that blended well on to my skin and had great coverage for a primer. I found this product to be very light in texture and give my makeup a decent wear time. It retails for £29 for the full size and I must say, I didn't like it quite enough to justify repurchasing at that price point..


MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer in NW20

This concealer lasted me a very, very long time considering I bought it second hand from Jessica French's blog sale over a year ago! I think I paid about £8 for it and it was worth every penny. This salmon-y shade was what I used pretty much every single day under my normal concealer to cover any darkness under my eyes. While it worked really well for the most part, I wish it had a bit more coverage and lasting power. It tended to slip and slide around my eye area if I didn't set it with powder, and even when I did, it didn't have fantastic lasting power. 


Revlon Lip Butter in 035 Candy Apple

I purchased this back in the summer of 2012 as a bright coral-red summer staple and I'm throwing it away after only 18 months because it has dried up already. It had really good pigmentation and decent staying power for a drugstore lip product, but as it's a 'lip butter' you had to be very careful that it didn't move around and make you look like a (rather gross) clown!


Topshop Kohl in Saddle

I bought this eyeliner after Zoella raved about it on YouTube and it really is an affordable creamy, almost waterproof, eyeliner that doesn't move once it sets - HOWEVER, I'm throwing it away because a really disgusting white (fungus?!) coating has covered the tip of the pencil and this has never happened to any of my products before! I am so grossed out to say the least and won't even put it in a sharpener to avoid any contamination!!


Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Moray

This came in a Glossybox many moons ago, back when Glossybox were a lot more generous and didn't just give out worthless teeny weeny samples in their boxes. Anyhoo this is a gorgeous golden olive eye liner but unfortunately it dried out rather quickly and the tip kept breaking off almost every time I attempted to use it. I'm not sure I would repurchase this..

Urban Decay Surreal Skin Cream To Powder Foundation in Dream

I reviewed this AH-mazing foundation in this post !LINK! and can't believe I lived without it for months and months now. I had the sense to ask for a new one for Christmas and as 'Dream' is more of a summer shade for me, the replacement is resting peacefully in my drawer and will be opened as soon as the sun starts shining a little bit more! In a nutshell, this foundation truly applies like a cream and sets like a powder, has fantastic coverage (all you hyper-pigmentationed ladies like me listen up!), and is made by a cruelly-free high end brand - perfection.

Maybelline Brow Drama in Dark Blond

I picked this up on a whim several months ago when I was browsing through Boots - total impulse buy. Unfortunately, this product proved why impulse buys are not always the smart thing to do. It has a very awkward almost round shaped brush head which is ridiculous for taming something so precise as your brows! I found the formula dried to quite a rough almost plastic-y finish which was so uncomfortable. I don't rate this at all.

-Romy






0 comments:

Post a Comment